Early Saturday morning, the FDA posted yet another recall notice linked to the ongoing recall of CRF Frozen Vegetables, this one linked to a corporation named Twin City Foods.
Twin City Foods, Inc., a food distribution company out of Stanwood, Washington announced a recall of organic peas, and all multi-ingredient items containing organic peas, received from CRF Frozen Foods.
Twin City Foods Recalls Organic Peas and Vegetables Distributed to Washington, California and Colorado
Twin City’s recall notice indicates that the recalled products had been shipped to distribution centers in Washington, California and Texas. The announcement does not provide information as to whether or not the products were shipped to retail outlets or secondary distribution facilities in other states.
Based on the store name-branded items on the list of recalled products, it is clear that the majority of the items subject to this recall were shipped to retail outlets in the State of Texas.
If you purchased a product named on the list below, do not consume any of the food until you confirm that your package does not meet the specifications on the retail list, even if you have already consumed part of the package.
Identifying a Recalled Twin City Product
The “Best By” or “Package Code” is printed in black ink and located on the back of the package for the following products, all of which are subject to Twin City’s recall:
- Central Markets Organics Green Peas (16 oz), “Best Used By DEC.09.2017” and labeled with UPC Code 4122010240;
- Central Markets Organics Green Peas (12 oz), “Best Used By JAN.08.2018” and labeled with UPC Code 4122081674;
- Central Markets Organics Mixed Vegetables (16 oz), “Best Used By DEC.05.2017” or “JAN.11.2018” and labeled with UPC Code 4122010249;
- HEB Organics Mixed Vegetables (16 oz), “Best Used By MAR.04.2018” or “MAR.25.2018” and labeled with UPC Code 4122004013;
- Sweetfrost Mixed Vegetables (16 oz.), marked with package code 20886 and UPC Code 7307381875; and
- Woodstock Organic Mixed Vegetables (10 oz.) Best Used By JAN.18.2018″ and labeled with UPC Code 4256300160.
4 of 6 Items Branded for Sale at Popular Texas Supermarket Chain
Texas retails outlets did receive some of the recalled items, as four of the six products being recalled were branded for sale specifically at the Texas-based stores.
H-E-B is a 111-year-old Texas based supermarket chain, and currently operates over 300 retail locations throughout the state and in Northern Mexico. The store often sells store-brand items – such as the HEB Organics Mixed Vegetables subject to the Twin City Foods recall – at lower prices than the brand name equivalent.
Central Market received one-half of the recalled items. The store, dubbed “an amusement park for food lovers,” is an upscale version of H-E-B, which opened the first Central Market location in Austin 12 years ago. H-E-B has added only eight additional Central Market stores since the first one opened, lending to the aura of exclusivity.
Consumers who purchased these products from H-E-B or Central Market, or who bought Sweetfrost Mixed Vegetables or Woodstock Organic Mixed Vegetables at any locations, should nor consume the food until confirming it is not subject to the recall.
Individuals who purchased affected products are :urged not to consume the product and immediately return the product to the store where they purchased it for a full refund.”