(Washington, D.C., March 17, 2020) – The U.S. Division of Agriculture (USDA) is making certain the security and well timed supply of the U.S. meals provide whereas defending the well being of USDA staff throughout this COVID-19 Nationwide Emergency. Yesterday, USDA Below Secretary for Advertising and marketing and Regulatory Applications Greg Ibach and USDA Deputy Below Secretary for Meals Security Dr. Mindy Brashears despatched a letter to stakeholders reassuring them that APHIS, AMS, and FSIS are rising to satisfy the challenges related to COVID-19.
“As leaders of USDA’s Animal and Plant Well being Inspection Service, Agricultural Advertising and marketing Service, and Meals Security and Inspection Service we are able to guarantee you that the businesses are dedicated to making sure the well being and security of our staff whereas nonetheless offering the well timed supply of the companies to take care of the motion of America’s meals provide from farm to fork… As we come collectively as a rustic to deal with this public well being risk, know that USDA stays dedicated to working carefully with trade to satisfy our mission of making certain the security of the U.S. meals provide and defending agricultural well being,” Below Secretary Ibach and Deputy Below Secretary Brashears stated within the letter to stakeholders.
You might read the letter in its entirety.
Meals Security and Inspection Service:
- Meat, poultry, and processed egg inspection companies proceed as regular.
- Planning for absenteeism is part of regular FSIS operations and as such, FSIS is carefully monitoring and monitoring worker absenteeism to plan for and decrease impacts to operations.
- FSIS can be working to prioritize inspection at institutions based mostly on native circumstances and assets obtainable.
Animal Plant Well being Inspection Service (APHIS) and Agricultural Advertising and marketing Service (AMS):
- APHIS and AMS proceed to supply vital inspections and grading companies.
- APHIS and AMS are making certain the well being and security of USDA staff whereas nonetheless offering the well timed supply of the companies to take care of the motion of America’s meals provide transferring from farms to forks.
- APHIS and AMS are ready to treatment any doable disruptions of their companies.
- AMS will proceed to report commodity costs via its market information service.
- Commodity markets may be assured that the USDA will hold America’s meals provide protected in addition to considerable throughout this nationwide emergency.
For extra data from the USDA, you could go to www.usda.gov/coronavirus.
The most recent data immediately from the CDC may be discovered at www.coronavirus.gov.
USDA is an equal alternative supplier, employer, and lender.