Today, the recent rash of recalls expanded to a national favorite: chocolate. Asher’s Chocolates/Lewistown, Inc. initiated a recall of a slew of chocolates, chocolate products and chocolate-coated products due to potential Salmonella contamination.
The recalled products were distributed nationwide.
The recall extends to multiple chocolates, chocolate bars, cellophane wrapped chocolates, individually wrapped chocolates, and chocolate-coated products. The company produced the recalled products in its Lewistown, Pennsylvania facility.
Chocolate Products Recalled After Multiple Positive Tests for Salmonella
According to the company, the “potential for contamination was noted after a single sample from routine testing by the company revealed the presence of Salmonella in a group” of chocolate products.
The recall affects the following Asher’s Brand chocolate products:
- Milk Chocolate Peanut Butter Heaven (3 oz.)
- Milk Chocolate Pretzel Pieces (8 oz.)
- Milk Chocolate Pretzel Cluster (4 oz.)
- Milk Chocolate Mini Pretzels (4 oz.)
- Milk Chocolate Coated Mini Pretzels (4 oz.)
- Milk Chocolate Coated Boardwalk Crunch (4 oz.)
- Milk Chocolate Vanilla Caramel with Sea Salt (4 oz.)
- Milk Chocolate with Fall String (4 oz.)
- Milk Chocolate Fruit Center Bar (3.5 oz.)
- Milk Chocolate Potato Chip (4 oz.)
- Milk Chocolate SF Almond Butter Toffee (3 oz.)
- Milk Chocolate Coated Potato Chip Coffee Bag (8.5 oz.)
- Milk Chocolate Crisped Rice Pop Multi Seeds (2.25 oz.)
- Milk Chocolate Crisped Rice Pop Multi Seeds (3 oz.)
- Milk Chocolate Crisped Rice Pop with Fall Leaves (3 oz.)
- Milk Chocolate Crisped Rice Pop with Christmas Seeds (3 oz.)
- Milk Chocolate Nonpareil Pop (1.25 oz.)
- Milk Chocolate Nonpareil with Fall Seed (4 oz.)
- Milk Chocolate Nonpareil with Mullti Seed (4 oz.)
- Milk Chocolate Boardwalk Crunch Coffee Bag (6 oz.)
- Milk Chocolate Pretzel Rod 3 pcs. Asst. with Asher Bow (3.5 oz.)
- Milk and Dark Chocolate Fall Pretzel Pre-Pack (3 per case)
- Dark Chocolate Molasses Pop (2 oz.)
- Dark Chocolate Molasses Pop (4 oz.)
- Dark Chocolate Almond Bark (4 oz.)
- Dark Chocolate Pretzel Pieces (8 oz.)
- Dark Chocolate Mini Pretzel Ash Label (4 oz.)
- Dark Chocolate Mini Pretzels Fall String (4 oz.)
- Dark Chocolate Coated Mini Pretzels (4 oz.)
- Dark Chocolate Coated Potato Chip Coffee Bag (8.5 oz)
- Dark Chocolate Non Pareils with Fall Seed (4 oz.)
- Dark Chocolate Non Pareils with White Seed (4 oz.)
- White Confectionery Coated Mini Pretzels (4 oz.)
- White Confectionery Coating Peanut Butter Cup (2.35 oz.)
- White Confectionery Coating Non Pareils with Orange and Yellow Seed (4 oz.)
- Keystone Crunch (4 oz.)
- Keystone Crunch (6 oz.)
- Keystone Crunch (1 lb.)
The recalled candy products were distributed nationwide in retail stores.
According to Asher’s, the recalled items can be identified by the production code printed on the side of the label. No other production codes (which may be located on the FDA recall notice) are affected by this recall.
Salmonella can cause serious – sometimes fatal – infections in young children, frail or elderly people, as well as others with weakened immune systems. However, generally healthy individuals also may experience severe Salmonella infections.
Healthy persons with “typical” Salmonella infections often experience fever, diarrhea (which may be bloody), nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain. These symptoms usually begin 12-72 hours after exposure to Salmonella bacteria.
In rare circumstances, infection with Salmonella can result in the organism getting into the bloodstream and producing more severe illnesses such as arterial infections (like infected aneurysms), endocarditis and arthritis.
If you or a family member has been diagnosed with Salmonella and you would like to explore pursuing a legal claim, contact a salmonella lawyer at Ron Simon & Associates for a free case evaluation by calling 1-888-335-4901 or filling out our free case evaluation form.