Papa Murphy’s Take ‘N’ Bake raw Chocolate Chip Cookie and S’mores Bars dough.
FDA’s investigation is ongoing. Updates to this advisory will be provided as they become available.
- Papa Murphy’s Stores Nationwide
Symptoms of Salmonella Infection
Illness usually occurs within 12 to 72 hours after eating contaminated food and usually lasts four to seven days. Symptoms include diarrhea, fever, and abdominal cramps. Children younger than five, the elderly, and people with weakened immune systems are more likely to have severe infections.
- Do not eat, sell, or serve Papa Murphy’s Chocolate Chip Cookie and S’mores Bars dough. Consumers should check their refrigerators and freezers for Papa Murphy’s Cookie and S’mores Bars dough and should throw it away.
- Contact your healthcare provider if you think you may have symptoms of Salmonella infection after eating Papa Murphy’s Chocolate Chip Cookie and S’mores Bars dough.
Raw Dough Safety Tips
- Due to the potential for contamination, never eat any raw cookie or dessert dough that is supposed to be cooked or baked. Papa Murphy’s Chocolate Chip Cookie and S’mores Bars dough are not meant to be eaten raw.
- Always wash hands, work surfaces, and utensils thoroughly after contact with raw dough or batter.
- Keep raw food or dough separate from other foods while preparing them to prevent any possible contamination from spreading. Carefully clean and sanitize surfaces and utensils that came in contact with raw dough.
- More information is available on the FDA website.
May 23, 2023
The FDA and CDC, in collaboration with state and local partners, are investigating an outbreak of Salmonella Enteritidis infections linked to Chocolate Chip Cookie and S’mores Bars dough sold at Papa Murphy’s franchises.
Based on epidemiological data collected by CDC, 12 of 14 cases report eating food from Papa Murphy’s and nine people reported eating raw Chocolate Chip Cookie or S’mores Bars dough.
At this time, Papa Murphy’s notified franchise owners nationwide and has stopped selling and destroyed all Chocolate Chip Cookie dough and S’mores Bars dough at all stores.
The investigation is ongoing to determine the source of contamination and whether additional products are linked to illnesses. FDA will update this advisory should additional consumer safety information become available.
Case Count Map Provided by CDC
Total Illnesses: 18
Last Illness Onset: May 2, 2023
States with Cases: CA, ID, MO, OR, WA, UT
Product Distribution: Nationwide
Consumers who have symptoms should contact their health care provider to report their symptoms and receive care.
To report a complaint or adverse event (illness or serious allergic reaction), you can
- Call an FDA Consumer Complaint Coordinator if you wish to speak directly to a person about your problem.
- Complete an electronic Voluntary MedWatch form online.
- Complete a paper Voluntary MedWatch form that can be mailed to FDA.
Content current as of: